Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Mini Resolution Project

Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God’s help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ’s sake.
-Jonathan Edwards

Over the past few years I've felt a pull to know and emulate our Christian forefathers better.  To be clear, I don't believe these men to be more worthy of praise or emulation than Jesus.  But I see the value in examining the lives of men who finished the race after the first century A.D.  

One such man is Jonathan Edwards.  I don't know nearly enough about his life, but I'm trying to know it better.  He was a man of strong faith and perseverance. Specifically, I'm in awe of his 70 resolutions created between 1722-23.  Here's a great list of them at www.desiringgod.org.  

Knowing I am weak, but desiring to be most effective in my walk of faith, I am starting weekly resolutions with the goal of working up to the self control of a Puritan.  Man oh man, this is going to be rough!  But totally worth it.

Three weeks ago I resolved to go an entire week without laying blame upon anyone.  Notice that others didn't stop laying blame, only me.  I found this week to be extremely peaceful nonetheless.  

Two weeks ago I resolved to watch no television for an entire week (I watch a lot of TV, and I get a lot done without it).  I was able to read more and get some more things done around the house.

Last week I was lazy, and made no resolution.

This week I resolve not to eat out at any restaurant between Sunday and Saturday (including vending machines, or my work cafeteria). The purpose of this is to force me to prepare my meals more.  It will also encourage me to be more satisfied with the food I have instead of relying on my selfish appetite.  Another benefit is the saving of money, of course.  

If there's anyone out there who wants to participate in my mini resolutions, I'd welcome the companionship!  

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I did the no blame game with you!! Better recognize!! ;)

    And I would love to participate in this no going out to eat for a week! So I'm going to do that with you!

    I also love you. <3

    ReplyDelete