Friday, August 19, 2011

Crossfit: Not for the Faint of Heart

So, I'm definitely doing the aforementioned Zombie 5K to raise money for my adoption.

I have only ever run in one 5K.  I was in the military, near the peak of my personal fitness, and I did horrible.  Running's never been my thing.  So the moment I committed to this run, I knew I'd need to train.  Hard.

But this isn't just a 5K.  It's a 5K obstacle course with zombies trying to EAT you!  Despite rule #1 of Zombieland, cardio alone won't cut it.  I'm going to need upper body strength for climbing, endurance, agility (for whatever razor wire slalom I'm sure I'll have to maneuver), and even more.

Rusty and some other friends have done Crossfit, and it seemed perfect for the task.  I promptly contacted the three closest Crossfit gyms to me.  Brian Yoak of Crossfit Legacy promptly responded and seemed open to turning me into a beast.  We met this morning.  This is when it got real.

The gym is an unassuming building in Barberton.  Walking in, I notice Brian's not a super tall guy, but he looks like he's made of oak.  In his office I saw a MacBook and an iPhone on his desk.  Already I knew we'd get along.  He sits down and asks me the basic questions about my adoption (it's awesome he's interested).  I notice he's taking notes with his left hand (I'm also a lefty).  It's the little things.

Once he see's I'm legit and have had at least a meager fitness background, he agrees to sponsor and train me.  w00t.  He'll let me come into the gym 3x per week and participate in the strength workout of the day (WOD) for free.  In addition, he's going to help me with Crossfit Endurance training, which is a lot of running.  double w00t.

Additionally, he encouraged me to come to the Saturday classes, which are free to anyone.  (hint hint)

Brian weighed me (191.8, with my clothes and shoes on...still losing weight!) and did body fat measurements with calipers (I don't have the results yet).  Then he said he wanted me to do the 'Helen' as a baseline evaluation of my level of fitness.  Helen is:

400m run
21 kettle bell swings
12 pull ups

Except that you do that THREE TIMES.

More in part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment