Monday, August 8, 2011

Slow Carb Diet, Part 2

I recently started a cool diet (which I explain a bit here).  I didn't get much into why I'm doing it, so I thought I'd expand on that.

Of course, the main point is to lose weight.  Since leaving the force workout regimen of the Air Force (as weak as it sometimes was), I packed on pounds.  This diet isn't about vanity for me, though.  It's about reducing how much I eat and rely on food to satisfy myself.  Eating too much is a vicious cycle, I've found, and it always leaves you wanting more than you need.  After being moved to adopt from Ethiopia, I've been increasingly convicted about my selfish dietary habits.  Only weeks ago I couldn't go more than a couple hours without needing to raid cabinets or hit the drive thru.

Also, I believe I mentioned the weight loss competition at my workplace.  Everyone pitched in $10, and the winner gets the sum.  I'm doing this for our adoption fund, as well.

Finally, I'm sick and tired of being lazy, sluggish, and lacking vitality I had only a couple years ago.  This slow carb kick is all about maintaining a steady blood sugar level to mitigate those carb crashes that make you want to curl up and watch TV instead of play with your kids, finish strong during your workday, or pay attention to your wife.  And lemme tell ya...it really does the trick.

So, I've had two weigh-ins since my last diet post.

End of Week 5: 196.8
End of Week 6: 194.7

Yeah, after six weeks I've lost 10 pounds!  That's 4.8% bodyweight since the start of the competition (I'm SO in the lead).  And the majority of that weight came off in the 15 days since I started the slow carb diet.

What does one typically eat for a slow carb meal?  Well, this is a typical dinner for me: Fajita chicken with homemade guac.



Rugged, easy on prep and cleanup, and all from scratch (even the fajita seasoning!).  The ultimate meal a guy can be proud of.  Hit me up for the recipe.

This hardly feels like dieting, by the way...


No comments:

Post a Comment